Don Maynard’s 38 years of experience working as a biologist and environmental assessment practitioner on Atlantic Canadian and national projects provides him with a holistic prospective, the understanding and the working relationships to move projects successfully through environmental data collection, assessment and permitting processes. This experience has been gained while working in both the public and private sectors and has required Mr. Maynard to work with a wide variety of multi-discipline and multi-jurisdictional teams. Mr. Maynard has participated and/or lead a variety of projects, with a specialty in marine projects, that have had him designing, conducting and providing oversight on the following aspects:
- Engagement with environmental regulators to confirm project descriptions and scope of requirements,
- Stakeholder and Indigenous Peoples engagement and consultation,
- Conducting biological and physical marine environment baseline surveys and studies,
- Working in collaboration with oceanographers to assess physical ocean processes on the project and vis versa,
- Conducting environmental assessments at the Federal, Provincial and Municipal levels,
- Preparing applications and obtaining permits for projects under each of the Province’s Environmental Protection Acts, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act,the Fisheries Act, the Navigation Protection Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act
- Working in collaboration with project managers to include environmental mitigation measures in project specification documents
- Conducting environmental effects monitoring programs associated with projects accessed
Select projects that Don Maynard has been involved in include:
Granville Ridge Consulting worked with the Charlottetown Harbour Authority in 2017 to provide environmental assessment and permitting for the proposed development berth expansion project in the capacity at the Charlottetown Marine Terminal to allow large, and additional cruise vessels to dock at the facility. This project involved sediment sampling, benthic habitat survey, dolphin construction, anchor buoy installation, east berth dredging, and completion of an ocean disposal permit for the dredging of berth. All permitting was completed through Transport Canada, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, and the Province of Prince Edward Island for the expansion of the facility.
Granville Ridge Consulting worked with Lennox Island First Nation and Indigenous Services Canada in 2019 to conduct the baseline surveys and environmental assessments/permits to construct shoreline protection on the bridge roadway to Lennox Island. The scope of work included marine and wetland surveys, representing the project to Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Indigenous Services Canada Environmental Group and the Province of Prince Edward Island. Assessment was conducted under the Impact Assessment Act and Federal and Provincial Departments provided environmental mitigation measures. Granville Ridge also conducted environmental mitigation verification for the project.
Granville Ridge Consulting worked with the Pointe du Chene Harbour Authority to assemble the environmental project description for their 2019 wharf and marina refit/renovations. The scope of work included benthic habitat surveys, representing the project to Department of Fisheries and Oceans, and the Province of New Brunswick through the Watercourse and Wetland Alteration Regulations. As a result of permitting processes Granville Ridge worked with the project Engineer to ensure that the project specific, environmental mitigation measures were implemented. In addition, a consolidation/reconciliation of historic Navigation Works Protection Act permits and approvals was conducted with an updated Approval issued under the Canadian Navigable Waters Act.
Granville Ridge Consulting worked with New Wave Shellfish in 2018/19 to conduct wetland surveys and permitting for an extension of a shoreline landing and service area. The permitting conducted included an application under the PEI Watercourse, Wetland Buffer Zone Activity Permit and representing the project with the Province of Prince Edward Island.
Indigenous Engagement and Consultation
- Conducted the marine environmental aspects of CEAA Panel Assessment for the Voiseys Bay Nickel Mine 1998-1999. Conducted consultations and worked collaboratively with the Inuit Nation of Labrador. These consultations required effective interpersonal relationships and determination.
- Ex-offico Federal/Provincial Co-Chair of the Atlantic Aboriginal Community of Consultation Practitioners.
- Consulted on behalf of Crowns, with PEI, NB, NS Indigenous rights holders on numerous proposed projects and property transactions (2008- 2016).
- Federal Indigenous consultation coordinator for the PEI-NB Cable Interconnection Upgrade Project.
- On behalf of PWGSC as Indigenous consultation coordinator for the Maritime Link and Labrador-Island Link Electric Transmission project
Marine Oil & Gas Industry
- Participated as the marine environmental study team member for the 1994 Environmental Impact study for oil exploration in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina.
- Participated as study team member in development of the 1994 Hibernia production operations environmental effects monitoring program.
- Organization and management of the marine component of baseline studies and environmental assessment preparation (under CEAA and the Provincial process) for the PAC-RIM gas pipeline and port facility from Prince George to Kitimat, British Columbia. Conducted consultations and worked collaboratively with the Haisla Fisheries Commission of the Haisla First Nation of Kitimat. These consultations required effective interpersonal relationships and determination.
- Participated in conducting the evaluation of the marine aspects of the Environmental Impact statement for the Terra Nova oil field development in Nfld.
- Participated in designing and conducting marine environmental effects monitoring programs for the development of the Hibernia, Nfld and Sable Island NS oil and gas field developments.
Granville Ridge Consulting worked on the 2018 Charlottetown Airport runway/taxiway renovations to ensure environmental protection measures were designed for on-site conditions and implemented. Granville Ridge also conducted environmental mitigation verification for the project.
In 2019, Granville Ridge Consulting conducted the compilation of the project description for a tire recycling facility as part of the project registration and permitting under the PEI Environmental Protection Act. The scope of work included the biological surveys of the site, assistance with fire prevention measures, stakeholder consultation and representation of the project with the Province of Prince Edward Island. As a follow up study on this project, Granville Ridge conducted a Green House Gas baseline and reduction calculation.
In 2018, Granville Ridge Consulting conducted the field work and reporting for a marine benthic, fish, fishery knowledge report for an area of the Pointe du Chene wharf. This report was used to determine the suitability of the area for placement of sand excavated from the marina channel. The report was required to provide an overview of the biological and fisheries related environment at the Pointe du Chene
In 2018, Granville Ridge Consulting conducted a wetland delineation survey and report to support the sustainable development of a 20 acre property on the Northumberland Strait. Field delineation of wetland was conducted as per Regional Supplement to the Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation Manual: Northcentral and Northeast Region (Version 2.0) January 2012). Preparation of a Wetland Assessment Report was conducted using field data sheets to demonstrate the findings as required by the PEI Department of Environment, Water and Climate Change.
Granville Ridge Consulting provided support to Joose Environmental Consulting to conduct stream monitoring at various locations in PEI. Equipment used included Flowtracker 2 stream flow measuring equipment.
- BSc. Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, 1979
- MSc. Marine Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, 1988
2017-Present Granville Ridge Consulting Inc. Principal, Senior Environmental Specialist.
2004-2017 Public Works and Government Services Canada, Charlottetown PEI/Halifax NS. Manager, Environmental Assessments for Atlantic Region, In 2015-2017 extended periods action as Director Environmental Services Atlantic and PEI Director of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
1999-2004 Public Works and Government Services Canada, Charlottetown Prince Edward Island. Senior Environmental Specialist, Provincial Coordinator for PEI.
1993 -1999 Jacques Whitford Environment Limited, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Marine Ecologist for Jacques Whitford Environment Limited (JWEL), commencing in February 1996, Environmental Manager for the Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island office.
1984-1992 Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Moncton, New Brunswick. Lobster biologist for Gulf Region.
1988-1990 Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Masters student on educational leave at Dalhousie University ( four to six month periods at Dalhousie).
1981-1984 Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Moncton, New Brunswick. Lobster technician for Gulf Region.
1980 Department of Fisheries and Oceans, St. Andrews, New Brunswick. Lobster technician for Maritime Region,
1979 Department of Fisheries and Oceans, St. Andrews, New Brunswick. Scallop, lobster and irish moss sample coordinator, Maritime Region.
1978 Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Ellerslie, Prince Edward Island. COSEP student sampling scallops on commercial fishing vessels, PEI, NB, NS.
Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans, Gulf Region, Citation For Excellence 1991. In recognition of the key role that was played in the lobster program within the region.
First International Lobster Congress in Portland, Maine, 1993. Nominee for International Lobster Service Award in recognition of applied scientific research in the lobster industry.
Public Works and Government Services Canada, Ovation Award 2001. Recognizing dedication, exemplary performance and outstanding contributions to the values of PWGSC, Atlantic Region for employee mentoring.
Public Works and Government Services Canada, Associate Deputy Minister Award 2001. Recognizing the initiative for creating the PEI Aboriginal Student Mentoring Program.
Public Works and Government Services Canada, Deputy Minister Award 2001. Recognition of exceptional contribution to Employee Equity initiatives at PWGSC for implementation of the PEI Aboriginal Student Mentoring Program.
Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans, Gulf Region, Merit Award, 2002. Recognition of delivering environmental assessments for a complex, multi-party program so as it could meet legal requirements of the NWPA and CEAA for the Shellfish Aquaculture Industry of PEI.
Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal, 2002. Recognition of public service in working with First Nations on Prince Edward Island and Atlantic Canada.
Public Works and Government Services Canada, Deputy Minister Client Service Award 2011. Recognition of exceptional contribution to collaborative environmental assessments and leading Indigenous consultation for the transfer of the Charlottetown PEI Coast Guard Base.
Public Works and Government Services Canada, Deputy Minister Greening Government Award 2011. Recognition of exceptional contribution to collaborative environmental assessments and sustainable development of brown field site of the Charlottetown PEI Jean Canfield Building.
Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012. Recognition of public service in bridging relations with First Nations in Atlantic Canada and the Crown.
Public Works and Government Services Canada, Deputy Minister Outstanding Career Award 2015. Recognition of exceptional contribution to the diversification and establishment of Environmental Services offices throughout Atlantic Canada.
Real Property Institute of Canada, Real Property Team Award 2016. Recognition of high level of service in enabling seabed use permitting, environmental permitting and multi-jurisdictional Indigenous consultation for the PEI-NB Cable Interconnection Upgrade Project.